Charity Coordinator: Claire Seymour
I am delighted to announce that ‘Herbie Hedgehog Rescue’ has been selected by the Reading Roadrunners membership, to be Charity of the year 2022! and I would like to say a big thank you to everyone that voted at the AGM.
Herbie Hedgehog Rescue was founded in 2019 and is run by fellow Reading Roadrunner Shweta Saikumar, Shweta is the founder and a trustee, the rescue also has two further trustees (myself included), and a team of volunteers to assist with clean outs in the rescue. Herbie Hedgehog Rescue is a small self-funded charity based in Lower Earley and has HMR&C charity status.
Herbie Hedgehog Rescue takes in sick/injured wild hedgehogs and rehabilitates them so they can be released back in the wild. Being a home run rescue, donations are relied upon. Each hedgehog costs about £5 per week just for food, with additional veterinary costs, cleaning products, medications, syringes, needles, protective equipment, specialist equipment (incubators, nebulisers, Oxygen units, heat mats etc) The rescue doesn’t receive any funding from the government and hence donations from public are vital to continue to help the hedgehogs that come into HHR care. 100% of all the donations go into their care during their time at the rescue.
Ways in which RR members can help?
- We welcome fundraising idea’s, please feel free to contact me directly, or via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donations of plants for our plant sale to be held on Saturday 7th May. Please contact me/Shweta for info.
- Donations of cakes/treats for sales to be held at the Reading Half Marathon/RR race events (Shinfield/Bramley) Track Fridays and other RR Socials.
- Donations of raffle prizes for RR Socials, or items for a car boot sale.
- Herbie Hedgehog is always looking for donations of food items, medical supplies, syringes, sample slides, gloves, and other items. Details can be viewed on their Amazon Wishlist: https://amzn.to/30Yjs6j
- Donations are also very welcome however big or small and can be made on the following link: https://www.peoplesfundraising.com/fundraising/reading-roadrunners-2022-charity
Please also follow Herbie Hedgehog Rescue’s Facebook page and view the website www.herbiehedgehogrescue.com so you can follow Shweta’s work.
I hope to provide regular updates on fundraising ideas, and how we are doing via the Reading Roadrunners Facebook page, or in the Reading roadrunners newsletter.
Any questions or feedback please feel free to contact me.
Thank you, Claire – Charity coordinator 2022.